CURRENT VACANCY ANNOUNCEMENT
The Office of the Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO) Representation in Nepal is seeking a qualified Nepali National for the following position based in Kathmandu.
Position Title: Irrigation Expert
Classification: 4 months National PSA contract
Under the overall supervision of the FAO Representative in Nepal and the direct supervision of the FAO Emergency Response Manager, as well as in liaison with the competent FAO technical units in Bangkok and in Rome, the incumbent will be responsible for implementing the irrigation component of a FAO project that seeks to repair and rehabilitate 24 small scale irrigation schemes in 6 targeted earthquake affected districts of Nepal: Dhading, Dholaka, Gorkha, Nuwakot, Rasuwa, and Sindhupalchowk.
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
• Conduct field visits to assess the damages on small-scale irrigation schemes in the 6 districts covered by the project and produce a report presenting the estimate of the extent and nature of the needs and proposing a selection of small scale irrigation schemes to be rehabilitated.
• Identify the communities to engage in line with the irrigation component of the project, verify the sites and works intended for intervention.
• Together with local communities, identify the specific needs and agree upon the type and nature of works and materials needed.
• Review/prepare the technical design, cost estimations of the proposed works in line with the technical specification and construction requirement as practiced in Nepal.
• Discuss with beneficiaries on the modality of work execution, focusing on voluntary contribution, community/Water Users Associations (WUA) execution, community-based Cash for Work activities, as needed.
• Based on above, assist to prepare tender/contract documents to execute the works as required. This may involve community agreement documents or contracting documents, as the case may be.
• Supervise the construction works and ensure that the works are executed as per the specifications and designs outlined in the contract documents.
• Provide training to the community on improved water use for agriculture irrigation and maintenance of small-scale irrigation schemes.
• Monitor work progress and provide necessary suggestions and feed back to the party (could be WUA/communities/Implementing Partners) engaged in executing the works.
• Check the bills submitted by the working party and facilitate payment against the work, if the work is carried out by a contractor, or certify the work progress with community in case of Cash-for-work modality.
• Verify and certify the completed works.
Required Qualifications and Competencies
Advanced University Degree in Irrigation/Agricultural Engineering or closely related field with at least 7 years of experience in design and management of small scale irrigation works. Experience in participatory and community based irrigation management approach is essential.
How to Apply:
Interested and qualified Nepalese nationals are requested to submit an updated and duly signed UN Personal History form (P.11), available on http://www.un.org.np/jobs/locals and from the FAO Representation Office in Kathmandu. The application can be sent either by email to firstname.lastname@example.org or in hard copy in a sealed envelope marking the position “Application for the post of National Consultant Irrigation Expert” to the following address by no later than 28 August 2015.
FAO Nepal Country Office,
UN House, Pulchowk
GPO Box: 25, Kathmandu