Transboundary Animal Diseases (TADs)
Name of the project: Controlling Transboundary Animal Diseases in central Asian countries.
Starting: Jan 2005
First phase Ending: Dec.31st. 2007
- Verification of freedom of Afghanistan from Rinderpest (cattle plague) disease.
- Find degree of TADs prevalence in the country.
- Strengthen communication between member countries.
- Stimulate potential to national Rinderpest contingency plan.
- Some deficiencies in lab equipment will be addressed. AGID and ELISA lab will be made functional.
Nature of transboundary animal diseases:
- These are the diseases that cross national borders and globalize faster.
- They have high mortality and Morbidity. Their presence in a country will:
- Reduce animal protein for human consumption.
- Bring trade embargo or restriction to infected country.
- Restrict breed import / export.
- This project is taken on a regional scale because no individual country without the cooperation of its neighbor countries can control either of these diseases. Cooperation of the neighboring country is essential.